What has been your favorite 1 on 1 that you have had?
Asked by amandarevenge
That’s a hard one, but I think all things considered, the Porter is my favorite if only because as a gay man who struggled with “a secret” through junior high and high school, I find that moment to be so incredibly raw and revealing, and his storyline really leads into the 1-1 so beautifully. Each of the three performers I have had it with have been spectacular: Mattey, Zach, and Paul.
Honorable Mention: Any Hecate 1-1. It took me forever to get invited into the lair, but it was so worth the wait.
But a side note on 1-1’s. Scorched the Snake raised an interesting point in his last recap about questioning the importance of the 1-1’s to the overall experience. He’s absolutely right. It’s easy to put all the eggs in the 1-1 basket and miss out on a lot of other amazing moments.
So here are some of my favorite NON 1-1 moments:
- Being let off the elevator first and separated from my brother on my very first trip (before I knew anything about the show). That moment changed my relationship to theatre forever.
- Walking down the hall toward the rep bar and smelling Hecate’s perfume and seeing her standing in silhouette against the blue light with her arms outstretched beckoning the other witches. I once entered at this moment and was the only person in the room with her. It was gorgeous!
- The moment of transition between where Macduff places his murdered wife on the couch as the lights fade to black. Then the Vertigo music resets and she is magically resurrected and walks out in a daze. Following her as she walks through the hotel to start her storyline over is fascinating.
- Watching Matron and Nurse Shaw do their mirror dance from across the room through the trees.
- Watching Lady Macbeth do her solo in her bedroom and noticing three audience members all dressed in black with their white masks,watching from the garden, perfectly framed in the three windows just to the side of the bed. The visual impact of those ghostly faces peering in from the outside as she began to go mad could not have been planned better!
- The moment after the party scene when bald witch reveals herself. It is carnal!
- Wandering past the interrogation scene from the OUTSIDE, seeing the lights flashing in the windows near the ceiling, hearing the slams of bodies in struggle, and knowing that some serious shit is going down in there!
- All the little clues that are present throughout the set just waiting for someone to take the time to find them. (EXCEPT!!! Once I was watching Cunning Man/J. Fulton sort through autopsy reports on his desk in the undertaker’s shop and I swear I saw one with the name Caylee Anthony. That out-of-period reference really annoyed me.)
- Any time any character breaks the fourth wall and makes eye contact!
- Annabella, the Fortune Teller in the Manderley. You don’t have to wait for her to come to you. If you see her alone, approach her. She is wonderful!